Last night I made the seitan that someone sent me a special birthday recipe for, but, NEAR DISASTER! I had sworn I had an oldddd bag of garbanzo bean four mais non: that was in my old apartment. None here. And I was cooking-while-working anyway, so trekking out to the store wasn't an option, even if I was up for facing the freezing horrible awful no-good very-bad freezingness outside. I used corn flour instead and ZOMG = GOOD. The corny-ness was a li'l prominent when I ate a piece plain, but I was making seitan mole and once sauced it was...ZOMG. So tender. Like pork or something, If I really remembered anything of pork, or maybe...it was like, it could be filet mignoine, from what I recall of that from a brief, sobriety-less foray into my omnivoriffic past in my mid-20s.
Anyway, I made the Mole sauce from Veganomicon, minus the corn chips cuz what with the corn flour in the seitan, I thought it might be overkill. It was/is VERY GOOD!
I also made a simple very-garlicky stir fry--just scallions, crushed garlic, tamari, a lil ginger, a little crushed red pepper, a little garlic powder and a little cooking sherry. I wanted the flavor of the vegetables to come through. And a lot of veggies--brocoli, snow peas, baby corn, water chestnuts, green pepper, carrots, oyster mushrooms and eggplant that I roasted with olive oil and salt and pepper first, cuz I've had bad experiences stir frying (or--god forbid--sauteeing) eggplant. Better safe than sorr. And better delicious than...not!
I also made quinoa is no chicken broth.
Oh my lord I love leftovers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment