4.02.2010

Vegan Passover Update

Just need to document some of my observations and lessons learned this Passover.

1. Special Accidentally Vegan K4P finds:

-Glick's Hot n Spicy BBQ Chips are AWESOME.
-Holiday Candies Dark Chocolate Coconut Bon-Bons are also awesome.
-Osem Chicken Consomme Soup is good if you like salty, salty broth and, despite name, vegan.

2. Matzo Brie!

I'll try to put together a real recipe for this, but I have found that combining abt 4 parts broth with 1 part almond meal and a li'l potato starch will give you a great Passover-friendly egg substitute for this classic, must-missed dish. Prep otherwise as you'd prep normal matzo brie--soak the matzo, heat up a pan, dump it all in, mix it around, fry it up. Salt and pepper.

You could probably use k4p almond milk or other nut milk instead of broth for a slightly creamier effect.

3. A Matzo Sandwich

with this quinoa tabouli, horseradish, artichoke garlic cream (I got some at Fairway but plan to make my own--it's just artichokes, olive oil, garlic and sea salt, whipped into creamy, amazing deliciousness,) on Streit's Moonstrips (aka the best matzo EVER) is really effing good.

4. K4Pizza!

Tomato sauce, this* almond cheese (made mine sans herbed oil topping,) toppings of choice (I used black olives, red onion, and grilled artichoke hearts) on a piece of matzo. Stick it in a hot oven (450?) for a couple minutes. Surprisingly delightful and not sad and pathetic in its unleavened crustiness, at all.

5. My Grandmother's Tzimmes

I don't know if I'm allowed to share the recipe, but if you cut up sweet potatoes and carrots and bake them with some OJ, Agave, and salt, it's probably going to be really good.

More to plan, more to come.

*that almond cheese is a general Pesach godsend, great just on matzo, in general. My other standby Pesach spread is mock chopped liver--sautee aprox. equal parts onion and mushrooms, food process that with equal part walnuts, salt and pepper to taste, chill. Delish!