4.10.2009

Two (vegan) things I made for Passover

Vegan and K4P in accordance with the pain in the ass Ashkanezi rules that I follow because I am Ashkenazi. That means NO TOFU.

Gnocchi with Pesto
gnocchi
Adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Homemade Gnocchi recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance.

6 medium russet potatoes (abt 2 lbs)
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
aprox 1 cup matzoh meal cake flour

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
Poke holes all over the potatoes, stick them in the oven and bake for 45 min-1 hr. They should be very tender when done. Remove and let cool.

Remove the skins from the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and salt and mash well, until there are only a few lumps left. Add the flour by the handful and incorporate (I use my hands at this point.) Once you've added half the flour you can turn the dough out onto a floured flat surface to knead. Keep adding flour until the dough is smooth and unsticky, but not dry.

roll the dough into a rope that's about 1/2 inch thick--you will probably want to do a third or less at a time, depending on how much space you have on your table/counter/floor for an ever-lengthening dough rope. Cut the rope into aprox 3/4 inch pices.

Now pick up a fork with one hand, back of the fork facing you. Place a 3/4 inch piece of dough at the base on the tine, with your thumb in the center. Press in with your thumb and roll the dough along the tines--voila! Indent on once side, ridge on the other. I find that matzoh meal flour dough makes the gnocchi slightly less elastic, and thus I can't do my usual fast n hard flicking style of ride making, I need to be a little more gentle or some pieces break.

Now you can either cook the gnocchi or freeze it for later. You cook it the same way whether fresh or frozen.

Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil. Drop in 1/3 of the gnocchi and wait and watch in anticipation for your pasta to rise to the surface of the water. Cook for one minute longer once it does. Remove with a slotted spoon and put on a plate, so the pieces aren't all on top of and sticking to one another. do two more batches like this and then add your sauce.

I used VwaV's simple pesto sans nutritonal yeast. You can also use tomato sauce. Or whatever you like.

Matzoballs
matzoball soup2
adapted from this recipe

This recipe is embarrassingly close to the one for gnocchi. As many of you may know, a decent vegan matzoball recipe is probably gonna involve tofu. I found one that used flax, but then there was a whole controversy about whether flax is kitniyot or not. So I decided to skip it, found the above recipe, and tweaked it a little. The results were okay--smaller, denser matzoh balls, but still rather tasty. They held together nicely.

4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/4 cups matzo meal
1/2 tsp salt
a few dashes of pepper
I carrot, peeled and grated

Boil the potatoes for aprox 20 minutes, until very soft. drain and cool.

Put a large pot of water up to boil.

Put the potatoes in a bowl and mash them well. Add everything else and knead with your hands until you have a film, smooth dough. Roll into tight balls, a little larger than a walnut. Drop into boiling water, cover, and let cook for 20 minutes.

Serve in broth of your choice.

No comments: