10.04.2008

Seitan Sausage

I tried to write down what I did this time, I usually just play this one by ear...taste..hand...w/e.

I actually just baked it for a long time rather than simmering first this time cuz I was lazy and it turned out okay, but it's better in terms of shape and texture if you have the patience for the 2 step version.

Seitan Sausage

11/2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
8 oz mushrooms
, preferably portabello/cremani, chopped or shedded (Food processor recommended, or just pulverize them in a blender)
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup tamari
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
5 cloves of garlic
, minced
Couple shakes liquid smoke
Spices of your choice--I used a couple sprigs of chopped fresh sage, some fresh oregano, handful of chopped fresh parsley, 1 tsp dried marjoram, 2 tsp cumin, couple shakes black pepper, couple shakes white pepper and one minced roasted hot pepper.

Mix gluten flour, oats, and yeast in a large bowl til combined. Combine all the other ingredients in a smaller bowl and then pour into the dry ingredients and mix til partially combined. Knead dough with hands for a couple minutes, til it is elastic. If dough is really wet, add a lil more gluten, if too dry add little more broth or water.

Preheat oven to 350

Put 10 cups of liquid in a large pot--water is ok, vegetable broth or water + a few bouillon cubes or some combination is better.

Cut dough into 3 pieces and roll into logs aprox 3” thick. Wrap each in a piece of cheese cloth and tie off the ends. Place in pot. cover the pot, turn on heat and wait for it to boil. Once it boils, immediately turn down the heat to simmer and let it simmer, partially covered, for about and hour.

Lightly grease a baking pan with oil. unwrap sausage logs, prick with fork, place in pan, and brush with oil. Bake for 15 minutes.

You can do a lot of things with this--slice into patties and fry up breakfast style, grind in food processor for tomato or other sauces, Chop into chunks and sauté with peppers and onions, just eat it cold...whatever.

No comments: