I am watching Buffy with my sig other, and the sired among you will understand the significance of this. Watching Buffy for the manyth time with the one you love, introducing them to the joy, seeing them react to your favorite moments, squeezing their hand when...well, you're either already well with me or puking by now.
We are about halfway through season three and I realize: there's not a bad apple in the barrel! No kids in peril in a hospital, nothing. Just painful, painful drama, thoroughly compelling new characters (not *cough* Riley *cough*)incicive cultural commentary...the reasons we watch to process activist/organizing-relating in addition to relationship angst are on full display as the Scoobies-as-affinity-group methaphor blooms. And did I mention the pain? Nothing can top Angel turning evil after sleeping with Buffy, or Buffy killing him to save the world after he gets his sould back, I won't lie. Or the introduction and ongoing presence of Spike and Dru. That said, season two, probably the least controversial choice for favorite Buffy season, is surpasses in ambition, scope, execution, depth and overall consistant quality by season three. And I'm a Spike girl, so that's saying something. I want to hear someone argue that I'm wrong!
Faith! "Gingerbread" foretelling Columbine! The frickin' Mayor! And don't even dis "Band Candy", don't tell me your heart didn't leap when Giles futzed with his heair and stole that jacket.
Can't wait for s6, that's actually my favorite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment