I think I posted about this already, but in case you missed it another one of my photos of Nene was featured on Cute Overload! WTF? Meg Frost is just perusing my Flickr account now? Cool! Too bad I haven’t seen little ene in months...he is my friend’s ex-roommates kitten, and now that they don’t live together anymore I don't see him. This just made me incredibly sad. My cat is curled up next to me and my roommate's is cleaning himself on the floor. the bell on his new collar is jingling. He’s moving to Canada very soon, where he’ll be able to frolic in the out of doors and get lots of attention and not trigger allergies and etc. I’ve lived with him for three years. I will miss him so much. EDIT: OMG it is his last night tonight! NO! Too soon!!!
In other news:
I’m a little behind, but here’s a good rebuttal to Reed Walters Op-Ed in the Times
A bunch of institutional violence against youth of color.
Fuck the democrats.
DC teen was shot by cop in back of head
I just got an email from a friend who compiled a bunch of easy actions you can take in support of the protestors in Burma. From the email:
WAYS TO HELP:
1. Avaaz has a petition they will present to the UN General Assembly.
Sign their petition here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/t.php
2. The US Campaign for Burma has a petition it is sending to Chinese
officials to ask them to withdraw their support of the military junta:
http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/uscampaignforburma/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=730&t=HomePage.dwt
3. Write an email to the Beijing Olympic Games Ticket Office. Let
them know you cannot buy tickets to their very much valued games until
they stand on behalf of human rights. Write your own or use the
suggested email text below.
ticketing@beijing2008.cn
4. Attend a rally. BFP has details on where and when *peaceful*
gatherings in support of the Burmese monks will be held:
http://www.bpf.org/html/whats_now/2007/burmaevents.html
5. Help get recording equipment into the country-- BFP again has the details:
http://www.bpf.org/html/whats_now/2007/burma_peace.html
6. Contact your local representatives. If you don't know them, you
can find that information here:
Senaters:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Representatives:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/directory/congdir.tt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: tickets for the Olympics
Dear Sirs,
I am very interested in purchasing tickets to some of the events at next
year's olympic games.
However I cannot, in good conscience, attend the Bejing Olympics unless your
government uses its influence to improve the political situation in Burma.
China has substantial economic interests in the country, provides large
amounts of economic aid, and invests heavily in infrastructure projects
there. Additionally, your government provides extensive logistical support to
Burma's military government. All this make China uniquely placed to influence
it.
The people of Burma have, in a very peaceful manner, insisted that their
rights be respected. I ask no more of your government than that it cease its
support for the current regime, and encourage a dialogue with the
democratically elected representatives of the Burmese nation.
I, the Burmese people, and the world would be grateful for your assistance in
this matter. Your courage will go a long way towards making the 2008 Olympics
a success.
With sincere thanks,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you who are more visual, Slate has posted links to photos
of the protests and the government retaliation, and there is a video
on YouTube of the Japanese reporter being shot point blank. Some of
the images are inspiring; others are graphic and painful to look at.
Slate: http://www.slate.com/id/2175003/
Japanese Journalist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LymH0aPenBM
Al Jazeera video footage of the marches in Rangoon:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xH_ZqfTOrxk
10.03.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
i hate being one of those people who only comments on the very beginning of a post that has much merit to it, but i'm also sad that vincent had to leave!! it's like all the famous montrose/manhattan residents are leaving, even the felines! *sigh*.
oh yes, and this is my ed. tech. blog for one of my classes... mostly pertaining to school and my students in detroit, but that's all my life pertains to right now, so i guess it's fitting.
xo
Post a Comment