1.28.2007

I’m watching the one existing half-season of The Comeback from Netflix and I looked up the cast online cuz I felt like the guy who plays Paulie G looked familiar. While he does have the generically familiar sounding pop culture name “Lance Barber”, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in anything before in my life. He is good on The Comeback.

Then I thought I’d see who played “Juna”, the hottt younger leader on Room and Bored, the Lisa Kudrow character’s comback sitcom, which is shot concurrently with a reality show about her attempt at renewing her relevency called “The Comeback.” Juna had said to Lisa Kudrow at one point that she was “in a band in LA,” which made me instantly more interested in her character. So far the comment has not been elaborated upon. But I was not expecting that the actress Malin Akerman would actually be a. from Sweden and b. in an actualy band in LA The band, according o the HBO website, is called “Ozono”, which may be the worst name for a band I’ve heard in a long time. I learned from googling that they have now changed their name to “The Petalstones”. I really wish I could find a way to find that name awesome and not just the most horrible band name I’ve heard since “Ozono”. I’m not trying to be mean, though. I went to their website and saw this really cheesily photoshopped picture that seems to make them out to be a cross between no doubt and blink 182. One of them is wearing a Che shirt. Not the girl. I bet this is the kind of band where it’s never gonna be the girl who their stylist or their friend or whoever will randomly tell to wear the urban outfitted Che shirt. The lone attributed quote on their CD baby page for their album Stung (which has a really gross cover that I hate, an eye with a bee on it) is :

5 out of 5 stars Awesome...period!
Reviewer: Petalstones Fan 17
This is one of the most awesome Cd's I have heard with a girl Lead. Malin is an singer and actress. BUY THIS CD TODAY!@!!!!#$#@% PS: Malin you are so hot!


That’s no joke. It’s sad cuz I wanted to like her band, to have them be some kinda crappy but sincere alterna or something...no. It makes me feel gross about the world. I’m not trying to be mean.

I saw a lot of good live music over the past little bit. I saw Lowry twice, who played wonderfully in two very different settings (Northsix = big, cold room, Matchless= smaller, “more intimate”.) Their new material was really good, some of the songs sounded really fucking good. Then on Sunday I saw The Shondes at the Annex, with a bunch of other bands--I especially enjoyed My Other Friend, who incorporated a french horn in their last song, and Changing Modes whose dynamic, goth-tastic frontwoman channeled Nina Hagen in moments to great effect.